kiwi-background-blog-banner-2000-by-600.jpg

My name is Emily Dunn and I'm so glad you're here!

wedding-photo-optimized.jpg

I teach people how to optimize their health by following a Mediterranean eating pattern while enjoying their food and saving money at the same time!

I'm a registered dietitian nutritionist (RDN) passionate about showing others how to combine great taste with good nutrition while shrinking their food budget in the process! I’m also a Kansas City explorer and amateur cook with my amazing husband, Jeremy.

Earning bachelor's and master's degrees in nutrition provided me with the incredible opportunity to learn the ins and outs of evidence-based nutrition. At work, I counsel individuals who are looking to improve their health by using "Food as Medicine".

I love applying my knowledge of nutrition to my own ordinary life and helping those I care about apply it to their lives, too (ask my husband). ;)

I’m also a personal finance nerd and love talking about anything related to budgeting and saving money. Ever since getting married in September 2017, I’ve been obsessed with making sure my husband and I eat well while not spending a large portion of our monthly budget on food. What I’ve learned is that it’s totally doable - and actually pretty easy - with the right tools and resources. This has helped us save hundreds of dollars per month on food while eating a whole foods-based Mediterranean diet.

Does this sound like you?

Sign up for my newsletter and get updates and exclusive free resources - like the Mediterranean meal planner I use every single week!

Food is medicine, but this doesn’t mean it has to be expensive!

That’s why I’m here. I want to share my journey of eating well while spending less, and I want to help you do so, too!

There are a few things you should know about me. First of all:

I believe in simplicity.

I'm stunned by the complexity of nutrition information on the internet today:

Eat X minutes after waking up.
Always combine these foods together.
Never combine these foods together.
Eat X times per day.
Avoid preparing food in this way.
Take all of these supplements.

All of this complexity is enough to take the pleasure right out of eating! Many of these rules can also make healthy eating very expensive and are often based on bad science. All of this misinformation can even make you feel like giving up on good nutrition altogether.

I promise to keep things simple, practical, and evidence-based when talking about how to eat healthier for less money. I just don't think it needs to be complicated.

Last but not least,

I believe that food should be A) fuel and B) fun!

When we lose sight of either, we get ourselves into trouble.

Every post on this blog should be viewed through this lens. I follow and recommend what I call the 80/20 rule. My ideal eating pattern is one where I eat a whole food-based, Mediterranean diet about 80% of the time and purely "fun" foods the other 20% of the time.

I believe that holidays, birthdays, and other special occasions are for enjoying what we eat in moderation and not worrying too much about the health effects. With few exceptions, what we eat on occasion (and in moderate portions) isn't going to profoundly affect our health. It just isn't.

Here are a few things you don't know about me...

1) I'm left-handed, along with 1 of my 3 older brothers and my grandma. My dad loves to send me newspaper articles about the pros and cons of being in the leftie club.

2) I was a pole-vaulter in middle school and made my school's record board...because I was the first middle school girl to try pole vaulting. Needless to say, my "record" was quickly broken. :)

3) I'm an action-taker. I believe that almost anything is possible if you're willing to take risks, learn new things, and put in the work to consistently improve.

Now you know a little bit about me. ;) Thank you so much for joining me!

~Emily

Have a question? 

Fill out the form below and I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

Name *
Name